inkplot

inkplot

Unbeautiful - Jessica Sorensen
You could say that unbeautiful was an extended trailer for the actual book because right when things are reaching a boiling point, the book ends announcing to its longing readers that they have to wait for its sequel ( what !!...how could you do this to me? *Weeping uncontrollably*

The book is amazing or maybe its just me who always keeps falling for the books that revolve around broken and tortured souls ending up in an even disastrous union. Maybe because to me it is more relate able having characters that are not perfect, have their own weakness and not your usual larger than life characters (read... Beautiful Disaster, Easy... )

Unbeautiful is a beautifully terrifying story narrated in a flawless fashion and never dipping in its flow. The language is poetic and mesmerizing. It is really fascinating to see how beautiful lines have been used to describe things and events that are ugly. The book is really a short and quick read and has an amazing story to tell. In between there were over sweetened dialogues but luckily not enough to make you cringe and all in a bearable quantity.

Its the poems that are used in the book that totally bowled me over. I loved each and every word and lines of those. It was moving and tapped on the right chords and emotions in spite of being simple and short. There is an elegance to the language used. Poetic and at the same time very natural and realistic.The only problem with the book is that it ends right when everything starts to stir. To call it a cliffhanger would be underwhelming.its more like somebody waking you up from a beautiful sleep with the promise of a delicious dinner only to realize that you would have to wait for an hour to have it served somebody pass me the butcher knife please

As i said in the title, For a book that goes by the name "unbeautiful", it certainly is a beautiful book and the beauty comes majorly in the form of its language and the poems used in the book. The beauty also comes through when it narrates a story about two tortured souls. The only problem is that the author ends the book abruptly and leaves you suspended in air.